Mount Adams Cemetery on King Row will be the site of the Library’s fourth annual “Gone But Not Forgotten” cemetery tour on Saturday, July 27, from 1 to 4 PM. Local thespians will portray six people whose lives were intertwined with Deer Isle history and with the larger world. They are:
• Merle Vinton Greene (1913-1980), a WWI mariner, later the bridge toll keeper;
• John L. Goss (1855-1936), quarry owner and operator in Stonington for decades;
• Ethel Skeans Clifford (1928-2005), first administrative assistant at Haystack;
• Dr. Harry Kopfmann (1909-1984), for 40 years the island’s beloved doctor;
• Capt. George Torrey, Sr. (1878-1942), the first islander killed in WWII;
• Paul Stubing (1927-2011), an artist, fisherman, boat restorer and marine historian.
The tour will take place at the cemetery, rain or shine. Tickets are $20 and on sale at the Stonington Public Library in advance or on the day of the event. Tickets will also be sold at the Turtle Gallery in Deer Isle and at Dockside Books in Stonington.
The cemetery tour is the SPL’s main fundraising event. We appreciate your support as we rely on donations and grants for most of our funding. Please help us make this year’s tour the best ever.